Monday, March 29, 2010

Thank You

Today I stopped off by the produce stand. After selecting a variety of fruit, I realized that the store did not accept my debit card - and I seldom carry cash. I asked a lady nearby (I thought she worked there) if they closed at 6:00, and she said yes. My phone showed it was 15 minutes til. I explained I did not have cash and would have to come back tomorrow and pick up what I needed. To my surprise, this woman said "Here, I have some cash you can use today." She reached out and handed me $10. I thanked her, then asked if she worked at the store. She said she did not, but she came by often and I could return the money to the cashier tomorrow.

As the cashier rang me up, she asked if I knew the lady who handed me the $10. I told here I had never met this woman before. She grinned and said {I already forgot her first name} Cook would give you the shirt off her back.

I may not remember your name again,
The image of your face may fade from my mind.
What will live on for eternity,
Is the seed you planted by being so kind.

If the media would only report on the good that people do, the world would be a much happier place.

Now I realize that God took a little extra time to send this woman into my life today. In spite of the fact that my needs are so small in comparison to most - God saw fit to send the fruit of kindness to me. I don't want to be like the 9 unthankful lepers - I want to be more like the one who returned to show gratitude. I don't want to taste of the fruit of kindness, only to have its seed wither in my heart - I want to let this seed grow, that others may taste of its fruits. And when they taste of it - I want them to see that Jesus gave the increase.

I don't know this woman - not sure what she believes about Christianity. But when I look real close, I'm sure I caught a glimpse of Jesus today!

2 comments:

Always Faith said...

awesomeness!

Anonymous said...

very well written. glad you had a little sunshine come your way!